Susie is an experienced attorney who specializes in the fashion/apparel and entertainment industries. In those fields, Susie’s practice focuses on both transactional and litigation issues including protection of intellectual property (trademarks, copyrights, trade secrets), setting up the company and obtaining necessary licenses, digital media and e-commerce, business agreements and a wide range of business litigation. As an accomplished litigator – successfully defending and prosecuting complex cases cumulatively worth more than $150 million – Susie provides exceptional counsel to her clients from contract formation to contract litigation. Due to her diverse background and the synergy between fashion and entertainment, Susie is also able to provide strategic planning advice to her clients on developing their brands to the fullest extent possible.
With a genuine passion for the fashion and entertainment industries and an undergraduate degree in comparative literature with an emphasis on film theory from the University of California, Susie skillfully counsels her clients in both producing outstanding films and in successfully growing their brands. Drawing from both industries, Susie also strategically assists clients in creating multiple revenue streams through expanding their brands in both traditional and online media including television, film and celebrity endorsements.
Prior to joining the firm, Susie was an associate specializing in intellectual property and commercial litigation at Mintz Levin Cohn Feris Glovsky & Popeo, LLP. Prior to that, she was an associate in securities and commercial litigation at Paul Hastings Janofsky & Walker, LLP. While a law student, Susie also had the privilege of serving as judicial extern to the Honorable Denny Chin (now on the Second Circuit Court of Appeals) of the Southern District of New York.
Susie is an animal rights advocate as well as an environmentalist and international human rights proponent, devoting numerous hours pro bono to such causes. She is on the Advisory Board of Karma Rescue, a Los Angeles-based charity that rescues and relocates animals and that engages in community outreach and education.
Arbitration, Federal, & State Litigation Experience
- Trademark, copyright and patent infringement (including counterfeits and knock- offs)
- Rights of publicity and privacy
- Unfair competition and unfair business practices
- Misappropriation of trade secrets
- Breach of contract
- Real property disputes
- Royalty collection
- Shareholder litigation
- Corporate formation including start-up and expansion structures
- Maintenance of corporate records
- Commercial agreements
- Protection of intellectual property
- Employment contracts
- Real estate contracts and leases
- Marketing, advertising and promotion issues
- Represents fashion and apparel companies including textile firms and producers of raw materials, manufacturers, distributors, designers (clothing, jewelry, accessories, cosmetics and fragrances, home products);
- Models and agents;
- Fashion bloggers;
- Luxury brands;
- Action and sportswear companies;
- Actors, writers, film financiers;
- Independent film production companies.
Memberships & Board
- Karma Rescue – Advisory Board Member
- Entertainment Law and Intellectual Property Section (LACBA) – Executive Committee 2014 – 2015
- Proficient in written and spoken Korean
- Proficient in written and spoken Spanish
- Article: Yes, The SEC Is Interested In Your Friends & Family Investing In Your Film
- Article: Raise Up to $1 Million for Your Company with Equity CrowdFunding
- Article: “Why Patent-Holding Designs Still Get Knocked Off: A Case Study of Alexander Wang” Fashionista.com
- Article: “Shareholder Class Actions: Exporting the Good with the Bad” with Jay C. Gandhi, Bloomberg Law Reports, December 3, 2007
- Article: “The Supreme Court’s Stricter ‘Cogent and Compelling’ Pleading Standard for Scienter in Securities Fraud Class Actions” with Jay C. Gandhi, Federal Bar Association Orange County Newsletter Summer, 2007
- Article: “Section 304 of Sarbanes-Oxley: Another Tool for Plaintiffs?” with William F. Sullivan, The Daily Journal, November 18, 2005
Lectures & Speaking Engagements
- Panelist: Current Business Trends and Legal Issues in the Fashion Industry, Los Angeles County Bar Association (September 25, 2013)
- Moderator: The Ins And Outs of Reality T.V. Deals: Business and Legal Issues With Reality T.V. Development, Production and Distribution. Los Angeles County Bar Association, Entertainment Law and Intellectual Property Section (June 18, 2014)