KHS Cannabis Law Practice
The legalization of medical and recreational cannabis in many states has led to the emergence of a new and vibrant multi-billion-dollar industry, that by all indications is only in its infancy. Those interested in doing business in the cannabis space- existing operators as well as new entrants- must navigate complicated and evolving business and legal issues, particularly in light of the unpredictable impact and potential liability of the continued federal prohibition.
It is important to secure representation from experienced and knowledgeable business and intellectual property attorneys in this emerging area of cannabis law that covers a number of sectors including finance, corporate, real estate, regulatory, and intellectual property among others.
KHS assists clients in many aspects of the cannabis industry including without limitation business entity selection, formation and licensing; corporate offerings; joint ventures; intellectual property protection, enforcement and licensing; and real estate consultation. The firm also provides comprehensive litigation services ranging from breach of contract, trademark and trade secret infringement, unfair business practices and more.
KHS also has established relationships with affiliate law firms with expertise on criminal and tax matters.
- Business & Corporate
- Corporate entity structure strategy (non-profit and for-profit) consultation and implementation
- Partnership and management agreements structuring
- Municipality permitting applications and compliance
- State licensing applications and compliance
- Start-up operations consultation, formation, permitting and compliance
- Medical v. recreational consultation
- Securities offerings, including debt and equity financing
- Investment offering consultation and preparation of offering documents- private placement memorandums and term sheets, entity governing documents, subscription agreements
- Investor consultation and negotiation
- Employment and independent contractor agreements
- Intellectual Property
- Branding strategy and intellectual property consultation, protection and enforcement
- Trademark registration
- Trade secret protection
- Intellectual property disputes
- Interference claims
- Breach of contracts
- Fraud and misrepresentations
- Investor and partnership disputes
- Real Estate
- Leasehold negotiation and consultation
- Landlord and tenant compliance
- Conditional Use Permits and Development Agreement consultations and applications
- The Business of Cannabis: Emergence of an Industry
- What is Cannabis Law?
- Cannabis Trademarks: Securing Intellectual Property Rights in Cannabis Business
- Coming Soon: CA Cannabis Laws: Medical vs. Recreational (Regulatory Snapshot)
- Coming Soon: Business of Cannabis: Investors and Managers as Owners
Industry News & Updates
- Commercial Cannabis Ban Issued for L.A. County
- As marijuana gains acceptance, law firms cultivate new pot-specific practices (Chicago Tribune)
- Stanford Law School establishes Prop. 64 and Marijuana policy law lab.
- Represented former business partners in pre-ICO cannabis dispensary breach of partnership agreement
- Represented California cannabis cultivation group in multiple real estate investment transactions and local and state license applications; provide outside general counsel services in variety of business and legal issues
- Represented investors and managers in connection with acquisition of equity interest in CBD patents and cannabis operations entity